by Anita Cheung (updated Dec 2012)
When was the last time you had a flu or a cold? Or are you suffering from one now?
From the point of view of natural healing, all “diseases” are part of the body’s way of adjusting an imbalance. Something small as flu or cold to something much more drastic like cancer are all part of this “survival” and healing process, except that cancer can be seen as the body’s final and most desperate “survival” and healing mechanism. (More to that in another article.)
The usually non life-threatening common cold and flu can been seen as our body’s way of getting rid of toxins by creating more mucous and elimination. That’s why it’s easier for us to get one of these after the indulgent winter season or during seasonal change, as that is naturally the time our body works to eliminate toxins and wastes a bit more. If we have not allowed the body to accumulate too much toxins in the first place, we may not need to suffer through a flu or cold (or many other diseases, for that matter).
That’s why the best way to strengthen your natural immunity and/or to rid yourself of annoying allergies is to facilitate appropriate detoxification.
My personal top practical and drug-free ways to prevent or relieve cold, flu and allergies:
1. Avoid sugar – sugar has been shown to reduce white blood cell activities. White sugar creates an acid environment. Bacteria strives in an acid environment. Infection feeds on sugar. (So avoid white sugar, reduce or avoid white carbs, and of course alcohol.) Click here for an article focused on sugar.
2. Get enough rest - the body heals and repairs while you rest. Take time to relax. Have a massage. Go to bed early. One hour before 10pm is like two hours after it.
3. Take a good probiotics – 40% of immune cells are produced in the gut. I take one Super 8 probioctic or Ultrabiotic 45 daily. Foods naturally rich in probiotics: sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, natto, kefir… (yogurt can be overrated especially commercial ones that are full of sugar)
4. Eat fresh garlic - garlic is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal – what about putting chopped garlic in your vegetable dishes? 1 to 2 cloves is all you need and it’s much more effective than garlic pill.
5. Increase antioxidant intake – eat more fresh vegetables which are rich in antioxidants (organic preferred). Drink fresh juices likes carrot juice, wheatgrass juice (extremely effective in oxygenating the blood) etc. Another quick way to raise antioxidant level is to apply the Lifewave glutathione patch (glutathione is body’s master antioxidants) The Brazilian Green Propolis capsule is also helpful for boosting antioxidant level, reducing inflammation and it has been shown to effectively relieve symptoms of allergies, like asthma.
6. Have regular exercise – increase blood flow and circulate your immune cells around the body better . If you are feeling weak, do “passive exercise” like cupping, scrapping, lymphatic massage, far infra red sauna – all of which moves your lymph and blood.
7. Breathe! (That’s why I never wear a mask!) Oxygenate your internal environment by ways available to you. Get a Hepa filter. (You may ask us for details) A pH balanced body has healthy oxygen level in the body.
8. Drink lots of water! (Adding lemon slices or vegetable juice is even better as you have more vitamin C and antioxidants in there)
9. Load up on Vitamin C – eat kiwi fruits, drink lemon water, or take a good Vitamin C supplement - take up to 3000mg a day when you feel run down. You will know your upper limit when stool becomes soft.
10. Reduce of avoid gluten-containing food – avoid bread, pizza, and wheat containing food as they make your gut environment acid and promote mucous and unhealthy gut flora.
11. Keep warm and get some sun - your grandmother was probably right! But higher temperature increases immune activities. Sun exposure enables Vitamin D production and helps your body build up its immune reserves. Vitamin D is a very common deficiency. Regular thermal therapy is a great health maintenance practice. If sauna (or better still infra red sauna) is not accessible, take a warm bath with salt, or even a foot bath.
12. Wash your hands often and sneeze into your elbow – this is basic personal hygiene in minimising the spreading of germs.
Since I started incorporated superfoods in my diet years ago, I have rarely gotton sick. Also for antioxidants, apart from fresh vegetables and fruits I am also getting them daily from Raw Cacao (one of the most potent antioxidant foods) and the Himalayan Goji juice (which works better as preventive rather than to be taken during a cold or flu).
Natural antibiotics with no side effect?
Most plant essences have antiseptic properties as they need these to protect themselves, some are stronger than others, like tea tree oil. But even the common lavender oil has natural antiseptic properties. But you won’t hear about these from the media much as one cannot patent natural substances. Pharmaceutical drugs are chemically less complex than natural substances and that is why “super bugs” have developed in resistance to pharmaceutical antibiotics, resulting in ever increasing use of even stronger drugs in just the recent decades.
If you really need to take antibiotics for acute situation, make sure you take your probiotics to counteract the negative effect. And it’s safe and effective to use high quality essential oils to -
Keep your working/living environment unfriendly to germs and bacteria - diffuse Thieves (may be enhanced with lemon) in the air and clean surfaces with Thieves (diluted) or other oil-enhanced products
What else to do when you do fall sick?
I have found that I can usually nib a flu in the bud by doing what I suggest above. And from feedbacks of our clients who do the above as well as maintaining their superfood diet (many do it as a breakfast smoothie using ingredients available us), it’s clear that they have seen marked improvement in their immunity.
On top of the above, to help relieve symptoms, you can try the below:
1. Infra red saunas (ask us for our recommendation). Higher body temperature of the body increases white blood cell activity. So even regular sauna can help. But infra red sauna does not need to be as hot and works better in promoting lymph and blood flow.
2. Traditional Chinese scrapping and cupping – excellent in reducing discomfort like muscles aches and headaches.
3. Coffee enema – a practice that has been traditionally used by many families and this procedure was in the Merck’s doctor’s desk reference until the 70′s. It helps raises body’s antioxidant level very quickly by stimulating bile and glutathione production in the liver. Secondarily it cleanses the colon and helps restore healthier gut flora. We have enema starter kit and we are happy to share with you our experience and how to do it. This works wonders in reducing fever and all the discomforts associated with a flu.
4. Double your normal dose of probiotics and take Inner Defense
We strongly believe economical and mostly DIY processes like the above can save you lots of unnecessary pain and medical bills…!
Generally the common experience that I have as well as what I have observed from others is, instead of suffering for a week or so or even longer when taking pharmaceutical drugs that suppress symptoms, using natural but effective measures like above, recovery time can be much shortened with no side effects. Our body is extremely resilient and intelligent given we work WITH it.
What About Flu Shots?
You probably have heard about taking a flu shot to protect you from getting the flu. Have you wondered if flu shots work?
Superbugs and Flu Shots:
Did you know that most of the world’s antibiotics are given to farm animals just to keep them alive? The consumption of meat and the over-use of antibiotics have greatly weakened our immunity. And we are burning the candle from both ends by the reliance on ever increasing antibiotics to suppress natural healing symptoms.
See what Dr. Mercola has to say or do your own research to see why flu shots may actually weaken your immunity. Not to say that flu shots only “protect” you from a very limited spectrum of viruses and bacteria.
It’s only common sense that the best way to protect ourselves from getting sick is boosting our own immunity.
Here are some information about flu shots that can easily be found from credible sources:
• 80 to 90% of flu vaccines distributed in the US contain mercury (in the form of thimerosal as preservative).
• Mercury is one of the most toxic heavy metals, known to poison the central nervous system (yes it makes your dumb…)
• A typical flu shot contains 50,000 parts per billion of mercury.
• The EPA classifies a liquid with 200 parts per billion of mercury as hazardous waste.
• The legal “safe” limit for mercury in drinking water is 2 parts per billion
• For each flu-shot, a 22-pound baby gets more than 25 times the amount of mercury considered safe.
• A material safety data sheet from Eli Lilly and Co., a former producer of flu vaccines, says exposure to thimerosal may include “fetal changes, decreased offspring survival and lung tissue changes. Exposure in utero and in children may cause mild to severe mental retardation and mild to severe motor coordination impairment.”
• Latest researches warn us of the danger of Aluminium as another neuro-toxin which is prevalent in common vaccines.
• Flu vaccines have not been proven to be effective to protect people from flu.
• Metals like mercury and aluminium accumulation in the body are related to rising rates of autism, learning difficulties, ADHD and other neurological disorders
If you are considering a flu shot for yourself or your young ones, please check with your doctor and make sure your questions are answered!
Also visit this website to be an informed consumer: Organic Consumers
And did you know Tamiflu’s main ingredient is from a common Chinese herb?
So what proactive actions you are ready to take to boost your innate immunity?
Perhaps we might see you in our next superfood open house or other community events to be informed and empowered! Feel free email us to ask what we put into our “superfood smoothies” and other experiences we have about natural immune boosting!